1Adam12-1Adam12.com
1Adam12-1Adam12.com
1Adam12-1Adam12.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1Adam12-1Adam12.com

Fans talk about 1Adam12

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Your first subject

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Admin

Admin

Your first subject Empty
PostSubject: Your first subject   Your first subject EmptyThu May 12, 2011 9:44 am

Welcome to the NEW 1Adam-12.com Forums. Please follow the TOS and respect other members. If you have any problems please let me or another moderator know ASAP. Thanks and have fun.

KMA-367

Mike
Back to top Go down
http://www.1adam12-1adam12.com/
Adam 12 fan 1960

Your first subject Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your first subject   Your first subject EmptyWed May 18, 2011 12:31 am

I grew up watching Dragnet then Adam 12. I have an affinity for police shows. I wentto school with a gentelemnan who is a police officer and I had a friend whose husband works(ed) as a disptcher, she was a dispatcher & their son is or was a highway patrolman.
Adam 12 fan
Back to top Go down
bcanfield

Your first subject Empty
PostSubject: Adam 12 Pilot Episode   Your first subject EmptyWed Jun 29, 2011 2:30 am

In 1967 I was a second year LAPD officer assigned to what we then referred to as West Valley Division, working the Day Watch. On reporting to the watch commander at the end-of-watch one afternoon, I was asked if I wanted to make some extra money that evening working an off-duty job. It turned out that the off-duty job was to stay in full LAPD uniform and take an LAPD Black & White vehicle to a City Park located near Ventura Blvd., and Balboa Blvd. Five or six of the off going day watch officers participated. We were told to report to a Mark VII production crew filming the pilot episode of Adam 12. On arrival, we found Jack Webb directing many actors wearing LAPD-type uniforms in various scenes. I'll never forget how demanding he was of the actors, admonishing them more than once about how they behaved while wearing the LAPD uniform. The reason for our participation was that the final scenes of the pilot episode involved a shooting at the park and an "officer-needs-help" radio call (at that time, the highest priority of all LAPD calls). One actor (extra) in uniform was assigned to each of the real LAPD officers and cars, so that each of us would appear to be an "A" (two-man) unit responding to the officer-needs-help call. I retired from LAPD in 1989, however, I continued to work for the City of Los Angeles for another 14 + years.

I found reviewing your website very interesting. It is very accurate in its reflection of LAPD in the `60s and `70s. Best of luck

Admin wrote:
Welcome to the NEW 1Adam-12.com Forums. Please follow the TOS and respect other members. If you have any problems please let me or another moderator know ASAP. Thanks and have fun.

KMA-367

Mike
Back to top Go down
RPD1794

RPD1794

Your first subject Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your first subject   Your first subject EmptyWed Jun 29, 2011 3:53 pm

First of all, welcome. I could probably pick your brain for hours Very Happy

Watching that show as a kid is what propelled me into law enforcement, and although I never did realize my initial goal of joining LAPD, I am coming up on 24 years of a job that I still love here on the east coast. God had other plans, I guess.

I had always wondered how many "in-service" units and actual officers were used during the filming. It always made sense that there would be, but I was never able to pick any out...

I had a chance to do a ride-along back in the late 90's in 77th. As much as I roll my eyes occasionally at ride-alongs that have been with me, I'm sure I was just as goofy...it really was a big deal to me to be riding in that black and white on those streets, and every officer I encountered went out of their way to show me some things that I wanted to see.

I know that Mike (and I) are gearheads so you will inevitably get questions about the cars...you actually got to drive them. The oldest thing I ever used at work was an 80 Gran Fury and I loved the way it sounded...I can't imagine what a 383 would have been like, sans power steering and on bias ply tires, no less.

Again, welcome. I have high hopes that the board will expand and that we will have an active community here.
Back to top Go down
bcanfield

Your first subject Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your first subject   Your first subject EmptyWed Jun 29, 2011 4:40 pm

When I joined LAPD in the summer of `66, our fleet was made up of `63 Fords, with 352 ci, 2-barrel carbs (very poor performance), `64 Plymouths with less than 383s, I think it was something like a 360 ci, with a 2-barrel. The Plymouths performed much better than the Fords, more power, and a lighter uni-body vehicle. We then started receiving 66, and 67 Plymouths. The 67 Plymouths were very much improved over the 66s. So much so, that I went out and bought a new `67 Plymouth with all of the same suspension, engine (383, 4-barrel) and drive trains components. Great car, but it only managed 10 mpg. Also, in `67, we (West Valley Division) received a few "test" vehicles from Chrysler. They were `67 Plymouth bodies, with the full, not yet released "Roadrunner Package." They were great cars, but we managed to crash about half of them. I remember being in roll-call one day when the Captain (Dale Speck, later became an Assistant Chief) came in and stated, "I love you guys, but if you don't stop wrecking my new cars, some heads are going to roll." The 68 Plymouths the City of LA received did not have the Roadrunner package, however, when we starrted getting the `69s, they were essentially four-door Roadrunners. They were the best Police Cars I ever drove. In 1970 we bought some Mercury Montegos, huge engines, but too heavy and poor performance. We then shifted to AMCs. They were better than a Mercury, but nowhere close to the 69 Plymouth. I don't know if your research has disclosed, but in the `60s, the LAPD's Plymouth fleet did not use transmission fluid in its Chyrsler automatic transmissions. They used 30w engine oil. The mechanics claimed that it provided a better shifting transmission. Final point, LAPD did not have an air-conditioned Black & White fleet until we started receiving the 1970 model year cars. The City's San Fernando Valley (more than 30% of the city), can get into the 100s many days during the summer. Our uniforms were 100% wool, and we did not have short-sleeved shirts (also wool) until the second half of 1966, following the death of Chief William Parker. Good luck
Back to top Go down
RPD1794

RPD1794

Your first subject Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your first subject   Your first subject EmptyWed Jun 29, 2011 10:27 pm

I've read pretty extensively about the cars that were used. What you said about the Fords and the Mercs was right in line with what I read. I can't imagine driving a Merc with a 429 over the front axle and no power steering...that must've been a handful to park!

My favorite car during the series was the 71 Plymouth. I know the 383 was down on power a bit from 69, but I just liked the way that they looked.

I am an EVOC instructor, and I always wondered what it was like trying to bust an intersection code 3 with just the foward facing reds and the 58 watt siren speaker (I would think the mechanical siren on the older cars was actually louder...). Maybe it wasn't too bad since cars then weren't as well insulated, and didn't have mega-watt stereos blasting.

Like I said earlier, I have a million questions. If we were face to face, at least there would be some free beer involved drunken

I am a big history buff, particularly law enforcement history. Having guys like you, who did the job "when men were men" is a great resource. Thanks again.
Back to top Go down
Adam 12 fan 1960

Your first subject Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your first subject   Your first subject EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 3:06 pm

If I didn't have medical probelems,was taller and had done beter in school, I would like to have seen what beinga police officer was like. Ir I could have waorked as a dipatcher.
Back to top Go down
Admin

Admin

Your first subject Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your first subject   Your first subject EmptyTue Aug 02, 2011 1:07 pm

Bcan- How many officers were in the Dept. in the late '60's and how many "good" cars were in the fleet? BTW welcome to the forums. Like RPD said we are hoping it becomes a good place for us all to learn and have fun.

Back to top Go down
Admin

Admin

Your first subject Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your first subject   Your first subject EmptyTue Aug 02, 2011 1:11 pm

Welcome Adam-12 fan- It's to bad you didn't get to see what it was like. Have you ever thought about the reserves? I know in our Dept. they did everything a Reg. did. They were more like part time. Same training and gun range qualifying.

Back to top Go down
bcanfield

Your first subject Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your first subject   Your first subject EmptyTue Aug 02, 2011 5:56 pm

Dear Admin,

In the mid 60s, LAPD had just over 5,000 officers, with a city of approximately 465 square miles and a population of more than 2 million people. Today, the city is approximately 470 square miles, with a sworn police strength of just under 10,000, and a population of just under 3.5 million people. The sworn strength of LAPD stayed fairly static until around 1970 when there was a big push to get it up to to 7,000. Even as the city's population grew, it stayed around 7,000 to 7,500 for decades. The sworn strength rose to its current level just in the last few years.

In the mid 60s, less than two out of every 1,000 applicants were hired by the department. Many of the requirements to become an LAPD officer in the `50s & `60s were very arbitrary and not based on logical work-related requirements. For example, you had to have 28 "natural" teeth in your mouth. If you played high school or college football, and lost a tooth and wore a bridge device, you were automatically disqualified.

This came about after WW II, when the City of Los Angeles and many other cities, were attempting to rid their police departments of corruption. One of the things the City of LA did after WW II was adopt the physical requirements for entrance to West Point, which included having 28 natural teeth. Why did West Point have such a requirement? The answer dates back to the 1800s when military personnel had to be able to crimp ammunition in their teeth. Probably not necessary for West Point or the LAPD in the 20th Century.

The other thing the city did was appoint a retired US Marine Corps General. William Worton as Chief of Police (1949-1950). Worton actually initiated many of the programs that cleaned up and professionalized the department that William H. Parker gets credit for.

Fleet size is not as large as you might think. I do not know the exact numbers, but in the `60s, we had 15 police division (areas), later increased to 17. I've lost track, but they probably have around 25 areas today. Each area probably has 250 - 350 officers assigned. It takes five police officers to deploy one single-man (L-Unit) police car 24/7. It takes nine officers to deploy a two-man (A-Unit) 24/7.

In the `60s and `70s, it was routine to only have 300 - 400 uniformed officers on-duty at any given time.

I would guess the black and white four-wheel fleet at something around 500 vehicles. The LAPD has a feet of approximately 25 aircraft. Mostly helocopters, but a couple of multi-engine fixed wing. I hope this helps, Bob Canfield
Back to top Go down
Admin

Admin

Your first subject Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your first subject   Your first subject EmptyTue Aug 02, 2011 6:11 pm

Very interesting Bob thank you. Like RPD I love history and that was a great lesson.

Mike-

Back to top Go down
Adam 12 fan 1960

Your first subject Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your first subject   Your first subject EmptySun Aug 07, 2011 12:45 am

I have complex-partial epilepsitc seizures. I don't drive so I don't know if I could be a reserve officer. I would love to be a reserve officer if I could. IfI am notable to joinas areserve officer, how else can I help the police?
Adam1fan
Back to top Go down
Admin

Admin

Your first subject Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your first subject   Your first subject EmptyMon Aug 15, 2011 11:35 am

Adam-12 Fan,

You can go to your local police Dept. and ask them what you could do in your area to help. They may have something you can do that doesn't involve driving. I would say start there and see what happens.
Back to top Go down
Yukon58

Yukon58

Your first subject Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your first subject   Your first subject EmptyThu Dec 15, 2011 3:51 pm

Hi Mike -
I really appreciate the time you spend on this web-site. I'm off and restoring a 1972 AMC Matador that I found at a closed AMC Dealership in NC. I'll keep you posted as I move along and post pictures of the project.

I have 90% of the equipment, just need to recreate a hot sheet desk, light switch panel, and I'm done with the interior components.

The car is another story...long road ahead I suppose. Body, paint and interior restoration to start over the winter into spring/summer.

Phil Herbert
Back to top Go down
Adam 12 fan 1960

Your first subject Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your first subject   Your first subject EmptyThu Mar 29, 2012 5:29 pm

Yukon58 wrote:
Hi Mike -
I really appreciate the time you spend on this web-site. I'm off and restoring a 1972 AMC Matador that I found at a closed AMC Dealership in NC. I'll keep you posted as I move along and post pictures of the project.

I have 90% of the equipment, just need to recreate a hot sheet desk, light switch panel, and I'm done with the interior components.

The car is another story...long road ahead I suppose. Body, paint and interior restoration to start over the winter into spring/summer.

Phil Herbert
Was the car that is pictured, used on Adam 12?
Back to top Go down
Yukon58

Yukon58

Your first subject Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your first subject   Your first subject EmptyFri Mar 30, 2012 8:47 am

The AMC Matador was used by the LAPD from 1971 (test phase) until the last 1977 was retired in 1984-85. My AMC Matador is a 1972, which was used on Adam 12 from 1972 to 1974 (seasons 5 thru 7) The Matador was equipped with a 401 CID engine and a Mopar A727 Transmission resting on Mopar 15" "H-Code" wheels.

My restoration will be a clone but not an Adam 12 car. Rather a memorial used to honor the memory of our fallen brothers and sisters that have served this nation with dignity and courage. It will also keep that era alive and my memories of that show watching it with my late father.

It is true, we are brothers and sisters in blood, sweat, and tears and whatever we as retired members of that family do to help preserve their memories is a testament to us all...
Back to top Go down
RPD1794

RPD1794

Your first subject Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your first subject   Your first subject EmptyFri Mar 30, 2012 11:51 am

Good luck with the car...I'm not sure where in VA you are but give me a hollar if you need any help. I'm looking around for one myself, my preference would be a 71 but I'm actually open to anything 65-73. My plan is to make it as accurate as possible for the particular model year, and mark it as being out of 77th Division, since I actually did a ride along there a few years back. Hittiing the 500 mil lottery tonight would help!!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Your first subject Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your first subject   Your first subject Empty

Back to top Go down

Your first subject
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
1Adam12-1Adam12.com :: Welcome to 1-Adam-12.com Forums :: Welcome-
Jump to: